International business and natural resources
You will gain knowledge in ecosystems services and its impact on sourcing natural materials. You will gain insight how businesses depends on natural resources to provide continuity in safe and reasonable prices of their products and services. You will learn the difference between linear and circular business models. You will create future businesses by using circular concepts like repair, remake, redesign, and rethink value of money. You will design business earning models that support sustainability virtues of Robert and Edward Skidelsky in their book ‘How much is enough? The love of money and the case for good life.’ These 7 virtues are: Health, Security, Respect, Personality, Harmony with nature, Friendship and Leisure. You will design circular supply chains that turns todays waste into valuable new business opportunities.
You will meet guest speakers from businesses, NGO’s, government, applied research universities who will inspire you to create a sustainable future economy. You will visit companies and organization that already travel the journey to another future. You will understand their struggles and successes.
With this minor you are prepared for an unknown future that you will shape as a manager, as entrepreneur or as specialist in an (inter)national sustainable business.
basic knowledge of, and insights into, the different types of ecosystem services and their impact on (international) business operations (circular economy),
- insight in possible business responses and available tools to manage natural resources sustainably (circular and bio based economy),
- basic knowledge tools to assess business impacts and dependencies on ecosystems and natural resources,
- basic understanding of, and insights into, how ecosystem services can be managed sustainably,
- basic understanding of, and insights into, how the circular economy approach can benefit (international) business operations,
- basic knowledge of, and insight into, the functioning of multi-stakeholder processes to implement sustainable models based on ecosystem services,
- the ability to design interventions in a multi-stakeholder and interdisciplinary setting.
- the ability to help assess the impact of new production models on the quality of ecosystem services provided by landscapes,
- the ability to design solutions to sustain ecosystem services using input from different sectors,
- the ability to develop a proposal for sustainable natural resource management,
- basic understanding of the fundamental principles of supply chain management to implement a circular economy,
- basic understanding of the necessary changes and transformations required for the successful implementation of an integrated supply chain.
Do you want to shape the future towards circular and bio based economy for (inter)national businesses? Do you want to cross the bridge between economy and ecology in natural resources? Do you want to create sustainable business models? Do you want to shape (inter)national circular supply chains? And do you want to know how to implement the desired changes towards a sustainable future for businesses? Do you want to challenge your knowledge and skills to go extend beyond todays linear economy principles and business attitude? The minor International business and natural resources provides you the opportunity to design an innovative (inter)national business opportunity in a real life field research in cooperation with organizations who already travel on the road to sustainability.
Erasmus exchange program applicable
Subscribe into Van Hall Larenstein student administration
Excursions transportation costs are payed by student, sharing of cares are advised to cut costs
Minimum two years Bachelor with either basic understanding in businesses, either basic understanding in life sciences, either basic understanding in technologies and techniques.
Creative and learning attitude, and willing to go beyond current boundaries in perceiving how worldwide economics work by businesses, countries, governments and societies.
Open and curious attitude to research unexplored paths to create solutions that are not yet available in today’s businesses to source natural materials.
Project report– group assignment, minimum of 5,5 passing grade, 12 EC
Written exam – individual assessment, minimum of 5,5 passing grade, 8 EC
Assessment – individual assessment, pass/fail, 4 EC
Innovation assignment – group assignment, minimum of 5,5 passing grade, 4EC
Personal development – individual assessment, pass/fail, 2 EC
Mandatory theory book:
A Circular Economy Handbook for Business and Supply Chains: Repair, Remake, Redesign, Rethink (2017), Author: Catherine Weetman, 1st edition, Publisher: Kogan Page Ltd. ISBN: 9780749476755 , Price: € 45-50,-
Lessons find place at Van Hall Larenstein, Leeuwarden.