Cruise Management 1
Hospitality in the environment of cruise ships is a specialized matter. Students learn in this minor about the specific issues concerning the cruise industry which differ from the issues of the shore side hotel, leisure and tourism industries.
The CMI minor consists of eight (weekly) themes: Industry overview, Operations, Sales & Marketing, HRM, Destination Management, Ship Building, Shore Side.
After this module students should be able to:
1. Analyse the cruise line industry and develop a vision based on the results of the analysis.
2. Analyse the hotel operations of a cruise ship and can identify the differences compared with a regular hotel operation.
3. Identify all the hotel related departments of a cruise ship and can describe the relation with the hotel department.
4. Identify and describe the nautical and technical departments of a cruise ship.
5. Analyse HRM aspect of a cruise ship and can identify the difference compared with an regular hotel operation.
6. Develop a vision for the future of the cruise line industry.
7. Have knowledge of the construction of a cruise ship.
8. Analyse the financial performance of a cruise ship and a cruise line company.
9. Develop a sales and marketing plan for a cruise line company
10. Have knowledge of cruise line related law;
11. Analyse the cruise line industry in relation to the environment.
12. Gain insight into shore excursions and how they are handled both by cruise line companies and Destination Management Companies.
13. Understand the importance of Destination Marketing and cruise alliances.
Cost for the field trips: approx. 70 euros.
In order to fully prepare you for your Kies op Maat study at NHLStenden, introduction days -together with incoming exchange students from abroad- are organised. During these days you will get a campus tour, meet teachers and staff, learn how to use (ICT) facilities on campus and you will be introduced to the student life. Moreover, we offer an introduction to our learning system: Problem Based Learning (PBL) or Case Based Learning (CBL). Understanding our educational system is fundamental for your successful study experience at NHLStenden. Therefore we expect you to be present during these days.
Costs which need to be paid by the student:
Ship visit and a visit to the Meyer ship yard in Papenburg. Total cost approximately 70 euros
Note: If insufficient students apply, the programme may need to cancel the minor.
This minor is open to all third year Bachelor students.
Case Based Learning
Short Answer Test
All information is available on Blackboard.
Literature is available in the NHLStenden library.
Monday until Friday. Case Based Learning (CBL) is the main Educational method in the 3rd year. Students are expected to go beyond the problem based learning method and focus on more complex situations. 2 CBL sessions of 2 hours per week.
Supportive educational methods are: