Research in immersive storytelling
“People think that stories are shaped by people. In fact it’s the other way around.” - Terry Pratchett
Stories are as old as mankind itself. They give our existence meaning and direction. But the way we tell them is constantly shifting due to new habits, new technology, new contexts and newly formed audiences. Our modern times ask for a new kind of storyteller to achieve this.
Research in Immersive Storytelling is centred around the idea that in recent years we have seen the rise of numerous new types of narrative practices and purposes alongside traditional media. Rather than developing stories for one medium, today’s professionals are very likely to design stories for all kinds of media, including computer and pervasive games, interactive web documentaries, virtual reality films, interactive installations and performances.
Research in Immersive Storytelling focuses on researching the mutual influence of story, technology and immersion. This programme is a perfect fit for you if you are excited to critically explore the design challenges offered by the multitude of new opportunities in how we tell stories, how we use technology and how we engage with our audience.
Programme research questions include: What does interactivity mean in terms of the relationship between the narrator and the audience? How much control can you let go to let your audience create the story? How does virtual reality impact your engagement with the story subject?
You will explore your own subject of interest by experimenting, making, reflecting and sharing knowledge with a group of international students and lecturers who do research in this field.
Research in Immersive Storytelling centres on learning how to carry out practice-based research, within the context of storytelling and immersion. During the programme you will learn to expand on your design skills, perform experiments and create work in order to acquire new knowledge and insight. In doing so, you will gain experience of various design research methods and techniques. This will prepare you for carrying out research in the context of your bachelor’s or master’s degree programme or your future profession.
Research in Immersive Storytelling brings you face to face with complex issues and has an interdisciplinary approach to design and training. To achieve results you must work in close collaboration with students from other disciplines and study programmes.
This programme is part of the Communication & Multimedia Design programme at the School for Communication and User Experience in Breda. The minor Research in Immersive Storytelling is a collaboration with the School of Fine Art and Design|St.Joost.
Let op: Avans-opleiding gekoppeld aan de deze minormodule is:
Communication & Multimedia Design Breda (CMD-B)
Deze informatie heb je nodig voor de inschrijving in Studielink.
FOR STUDENTS BASED IN THE NETHERLANDS
Om je aan te melden dien je:
- de Kies op Maat leerovereenkomst te downloaden. Vul deze in en zorg dat deze ondertekend wordt door de betrokken partijen:
- Opleiding CMD / Academie voor Communicatie en User Experience van Avans Hogeschool (gastinstelling).
- de volledig ingevulde en door de drie partijen ondertekende leerovereenkomst naar Esther van Dijk (email@example.com) te mailen in één pdf.
- een kopie van je Propedeusediploma naar de studentenadministratie: firstname.lastname@example.org te mailen. Zet in het onderwerp dat het om een kopie diploma betreffende je aanmelding voor een minor gaat.
- een origineel Bewijs van Betaald Collegegeld 2018-2019 op te vragen bij je eigen thuisinstelling. Dit kan bij de studentenadministratie of lesgeld-administratie. Dan kan Avans zien dat jij daar betaald hebt. LET OP: Deze moet met de post opgestuurd worden, omdat het een origineel exemplaar betreft. Je mag deze opsturen naar: Avans Hogeschool, Studentenadministratie, Postbus 90.116, 4800 RA Breda
- Daarnaast schrijf je je via studielink in.
IF YOU ARE A STUDENT FROM ABROAD
- If you would like to enroll in the minor, you can get in contact with Mrs. Esther van Dijk (email@example.com). She will let you know how to apply.
Here is a guide for the application process:
Avans offers support for finding suitable temporary housing.
Academie voor communicatie en user experience - CMD
PO Box 90.116
4800 RA Breda
You are a motivated student with a strong interest in the cutting-edge field of storytelling: visual, immersive, performative, interactive and innovative.
You can take part in this programme with different talent levels and skills, but a basic training and experience in storytelling, creative thinking and a problem-solving mindset are a prerequisite. Either from personal or professional projects. It is important that you have an idea in advance what your subject of interest will be (in general) and where your focus of your research might lie.
RECOMMENDED MINDSET FOR THIS PROGRAMME
- You are not afraid to learn new skills and work with media technology.
- You are interested to explore new horizons in telling stories and you want to expand your knowledge of new narrative strategies and technologies.
- You consider it an interesting challenge to study in an international context and to work in close collaboration with other disciplines.
- You enjoy working in a dynamic learning environment with a large degree of independence.
- You take responsibility for your own learning process and for your team's performance.
- Your goal is to learn from others and your own efforts. You are open to feedback from your peers, lecturers and experts from the professional field.
- You are currently enrolled at a Dutch higher professional education institute or university or at a foreign exchange partner of Avans University of Applied Sciences.
- You have the recommended mindset and feel you fit the profile.
- You are prepared to take part in the application and selection procedure set out below.
APPLICATION AND SELECTION
The participants in this programme will be selected based on the following:
- a portfolio that gives insights into your skills, talents and work and design process and should contain work that you want to present at the admission interview.
- an admission interview. If you are based outside the Netherlands we will arrange a Skype interview in English.
- a letter of motivation.
Your portfolio will be reviewed to determine whether you will be asked to attend an admission interview. Please send your motivation and (a link to) your portfolio asap to Esther van Dijk: firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be informed about your admission within 3-4weeks after submitting your portfolio.
The programme examines your growth on three criteria: research skills, (immersive) story design and use of media technology. A more detailed explanation can be requested with the course leader (Quirijn Menken).
Your personal progress and development will be discussed in individual sessions with your teachers and occasionally with other students.
Assignments will be executed individually and in small groups.
The minor is offered full-time (840 hours) in Breda (in English) from 27 august 2018 until 25 January 2019.
The programme has a 40 hour workload per week – all throughout the semester. You will have on average 20 hours of workshops, lab sessions and lectures per week.
During the programme we will visit exhibits, events and professionals in the field. Part of the programme is an international study trip. Most of the expenses made are covered by Avans, but most travel expenses are your own responsibility.