Sport & Events Volunteer Management
Nowadays the managing and governing of both national and international sport organizations and sport events is considered to be a specialization within the field of management..
During this course, you will be provided with the necessary theoretical and practical background. A number of guest lecturers from different organizations (Erasmus University, sport event organisations and Federations ) will provide a practical insight into this complex subject.
- Identify the different parts of a Bid book containing all specific details regarding an event such as the building of sports venues, accommodation, finance, media operations and volunteers.
- Design, execute and reflect on an event
- How to integrate social value in an event
- Demonstrate an understanding of how volunteers are used at both the club and federation level and in events
- Demonstrate and understanding of event and volunteer management theory in different contexts
There will be excursions to several sport-related organizations which work with volunteers, i.e. umbrella organizations as NEVOBO (Royal Dutch Volleybal Association Association), local sport clubs and sport event organisations.
In order to pass this minor, the students will complete three assignments:
The first assignment is a written report to describe the role of volunteering within a certain sport (-context). The student can choose a sport of interest and will describe and analyze the role, strengths and weaknesses of (using) volunteers in different roles in that specific sport or sport event in their country. Students are advised to follow the topics that are used as subjects for the lectures to structure their report. This assignment will be based upon a literature review and extensive desk-research of the sport (-context).
The second assignment is a group assignment. Develop and present a Bidbook for a New Sports Event. Describe the specifications for the Event management like City Marketing, Accomodation, Volunteers, Finance and the Programming Side Events.
The third assignment is the demonstration of a part of the event in the Bidbook (impression).
- The student will learn all the aspects of managing a sport event and how to add social value
- The student will be able to understand the different parts of a Bid book containing all specific details regarding an event such as the building of sports venues, accommodation, finance, media operations and volunteers.
- The student learns why volunteers are important within the sport(event) sector, what motivates them and how to retain volunteers.
Sufficient level of English.
The minor will be graded on one report (individual assignment), which has to exceed the minimum requirement of 5.5. The first assignment is a written report to describe the role of volunteering within a certain sport (-context). The second assignment is a group assignment. Develop and present a Bidbook for a New Sports Event. This also has to exceed the minimum requirement of 5.5.The third assignment is the demonstration of a part of the event in the Bidbook (impression) and will be graded with sufficient and not sufficient.
The final grade consists of the above mentioned assignment and presentation:
- Individual assignment (60%)
- Group Assignment (40%) Demonstration (Requirement S)
Course manual Sport & Event Volunteer Management and relevant Academic articles to be provided on Blackboard.
Minor: 15 ECTS = 420 hours
The following methods will be used:
- Interactive classroom lectures, workshops, feedback-sessions, guest lectures: 80 hours
- 6 excursions to sport and event organizations : 40 hours
- Self-study (preparing for lectures, working on assignments): 300 hours