User Experience Design
The minor User Experience Design aims to help you design interfaces, interfaces that provide a good user experience and make a positive contribution to the user’s experience of the organization that provides their products / services through the interface. Through the use of simulations and real-world assignments you will learn to research, understand and design solutions for complex user experience design problems at both a strategic level and at the level of the user interface.
- have acquired the knowledge, skills and attitude of an entry level UX designer;
- can develop and create user centred concepts and solutions for complex UX design problems within given constraints;
- master a variety of UXD skills and tools to design interactive media (websites, apps,...) that are functional, reliable, usable and pleasurable in use;
- are aware of and can deal with context factors that influence the design process: time, money, ethics, politics, strategy, technique, platform, …;
- can document, present and effectively communicate complex UX solutions;
- can test and evaluate the usability of interactive systems;
- have developed your own design attitude and an authentic vision on UXD;
- have experienced and developed a feeling of what a professional setting of UX designers entails.
Questions about the minor?
Contact Fransiska Groenland, email@example.com
Questions about the Kies op Maat-procedure?
Contact Tracy Hepp-Walker, firstname.lastname@example.org
Costs: Approximately €250 (excursion and literature).
You should write and speak good English and be able to read and understand university-level English texts quickly and thoroughly;
You can develop persona’s, user scenario’s, moodboards, storyboards, visual presentations, concept plan, debriefings;
You have knowledge of basis and platform UX-heuristics, -patterns and guidelines; You have knowledge of usability and - testing – and are able to perform (usage/user) research;
You have knowledge of in- and external target groups, goals, values within the design process;
You are able to work with tools like: Sketch, Principle, Photoshop, Illustrator, FramerX, ...;
You can develop/understand design specifications like: list of user requirements, data model, use case scenario, flowchart, screen transition diagram, wireframe;
If you think you meet those requirements, please write a motivation letter and send it together with a link to a portfolio of your work BEFORE October 1st 2019. The next step is a meeting with two tutors (via Skype or at the Amstel Campus in Amsterdam).
Theoretical foundations; user experience, cognitive psychology, seductive interaction design (3x3 ECTS)
The craft of user experience design: multi device design, big IA, HCI mastery (3x3ECTS)
Individual UX project (9 ECTS)
Coaching, X2 (3 ECTS )
Saffer, D. (2013). Microinteractions: Designing with Details. O'Reilly Media, Inc.
Lupton, E. (2017). Design Is Storytelling. New York, ABD: Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum.
Other materials (articles, video's, ...) are provided digitally.
During the minor theory-, workshop- and feedback sessions are provided.
The exact schedule will be announced in January 2020.
The minor is fulltime and depending on the courses and projects the contacttimes differ.
On average the time per week for instructions/feedback is 15 h.