Healthy Region -Research & Innovation (15 EC)
Contemporary societal developments and changes result in new questions and complex problems. Professionals more and more, have to be able to handle these problems in a complete and multidisciplinary setting. As a professional you will increasingly go beyond the boundaries of your profession and work in areas outside your expertise. As a result, the labour market not only requires specialists, but more and more wants generalists too. This minor enables you to acquire these skills and competencies, so you can put them to use in your future career.
The Minor Research offers the opportunity to obtain both research- and professional competencies. The research competencies are equal for all students and independent from the assignment. The professional competencies do depend on the particular assignment fort his minor. You will work on an extensive and complex assignment
• Which (via a HZ research group) you will carry out for an organization;
• That aligns with your study programme (Major);
• Which allows you to acquire entry-level competencies/skills;
• That requires you to clarify why you did or did not do something (reflection);
• That will result in a final product (at least an oral and/or written report and portfolio).
Besides obtaining competencies, this minor offers the opportunity to build a network with colleagues, companies and other relevant contacts. You will experience the extent to which you can focus on a more elaborate and a more complex assignment in a real live situation, as well as the extent to which you are sensitive to time-pressure
During of the Minor you can attend support lectures. These lectures are comprised of generic topics such as research skills and communication skills. These lectures will take place by means of pressure cookers. Your department will also provide classes on discipline-specific topics. All classes are geared towards teaching the knowledge and skills you need to complete the Minor assignment properly.
In the Healthy Region research programme professionals from public and private sectors are connected to work on destination and environmental development for a vital and healthy region for its citizens and visitors (tourists) as well as for educational and professional organisations. In a Healthy Region strong partnerships across different sectors focus on health (prevention, care and cure) and provide innovative solutions to today’s issues surrounding health care and health policies. Furthermore, this concerns connecting different sectors (eg. health and tourism) and connecting different disciplines with the therapeutic landscape. In short, all initiatives that contribute to Healthy Regions.
This can be summarized in the following objectives:
• Offering a platform for cross-sectoral networking with the objective of increasing the chances of the city of Antwerp and the Province of Zeeland as Healthy Region to deploy workable market-product combinations
• Sharing knowledge with the objective of providing frameworks which may lead to substantive projects, designed by governments, public and private sectors and educational institutions.
• Positioning the city of Antwerp and Zeeland as a Healthy Region, focusing on landscape, environment, cross-sectoral links to health and regional development for a wide audience.
The research programme Healthy Region is further divided into:
• Healthy Living relates to living and staying in the healthy region, with a focus on innovation and implementation from policy development at national and international perspective in order to achieve sustainable and dynamic health care and welfare systems.
• Healthy Lifestyle relates to the promotion of an active and healthy lifestyle aimed at different audiences. This theme relates active and passive sport to vitality, well-being and healthy living and healthy aging.
• Healthy Hospitality relates to the development and implementation of health-oriented tourism in the healthy region and temporary stays related to educational and professional organizations. This focuses on ensuring a better service by means of clever combinations between tourism and health care.
St 1: The drafting of a proposal for (applied) research and setting up a research project, intended to solve real live problems.
* You are able to formulate a problem statement (comprising of the problem description, research question and objective).
* You are able to conduct desk research.
* You are able to design a research project and record this in a research proposal (= research project plan).
St 2: Conducting research as described in the research proposal, monitoring progress and quality and making adjustments where necessary.
* You are able to collect the required data and process it according to a way that accommodates meaningful interpretation .
*You are able to monitor the progress and quality of the research process and make adjustments if necessary.
St 3: Interpreting data and drawing conclusions regarding the research question. Additionally, evaluating and reporting results and process.
* You are able to ascribe significance to retrieved and processed data. You are able to report research results.
This minor (i.e. both of 15 and 30 EC edition) always starts at the beginning of the spring semester (around February 1st).
During this minor you will work on a research assignment from an external organisation. Before the start of the minor you will be able to review all optional assignments and prioritise your choice (1st and 2nd). Before the start of the minor, the coordinator will assign you to the project and a minor project group. The coordinator then appoints a supervisor for each minor project group.
Admission requirements are: propaedeutic certificate from a university of applied sciences, and permission from the programme coordinator the student belongs to.
1. Development for proficiency
Content differs per program
Weight factor: 25%
Pass/fail grade: 5,5
2. Professional deliverables
Research proposal, research report and defense
Weight factor: 75%
Pass/fail grade: 5,5
2 to 3 days per week, duration and content vary.