Bio-based Building (BFftF)
Students are in contact with innovative ideas for construction, working with biobased materials. They also work together with industrial partners.
Within the Bio-based Building research group, students and lecturer-researchers from HZ and Avans carry out joint research. They deal with both construction and civil engineering applications, with a strong emphasis on the materials side. The aims of the research group are:
- Strengthening, expanding and upscaling existing bio-based construction products;
- Developing, testing and using new product(s) (ideas);
- Research into market applications;
Here one might consider, for example, research into structural properties, the validation of health claims regarding innovations initiated by the construction sector and also by inexpensive agro-residues. New materials offer new design opportunities, with mechanization and cost price reduction being real requirements in order in the end to achieve a lower cost price and larger-scale production.
- Do research about (new) bio-based materials, structural properties and health claims of innovations
- Contribute to strengthening, expanding and upscaling existing bio-based construction products
- Develop, test and use new product(s) (ideas)
- Do research into market applications
- You work together on the project and jointly find solutions based on a professional and proactive attitude.
Details: you collaborate, take responsibility and think critically, your actions are based on critical reflections, you want to understand, validate and achieve, you are constructive, respectful, reliable, curious, creative, and objective, you present yourself professionally and with proper etiquette, and you want to share your results and lessons learned.
- You view and understand the challenge from different perspectives.
Details: you find relevant, reliable and up-to-date information, analyze and apply it in a systematic way and conduct a literature review. You collaborate with stakeholders to identify the challenge. You present the challenge clearly and well-founded.
- You design, execute, monitor, interpret and/or validate the professional end product (result) systematically.
Details: in a structured manner you collaborate to develop, and possibly adjust the development of, a validated Professional product.
- You propose a desirable follow-up, and critically evaluate the professional product and the associated development process.
Details: you identify good practices and lessons learned. You reflect at your own role (me), the one of your team and stakeholders (we) and the results of your project (it).
- You share and record the results in a structured manner and, based on your results, you potentially contribute to enriching existing knowledge.
Details: you describe the project process to achieving the results clearly and well-structured. You share the results in relevant ways, e.g. via a Body of Knowledge and Skills.
- You work with a biobased solution for construction.
Details: you understand what a biobased solution/materials is and you provide insights for new ideas.
- Civil Engineering
- Logistics Engineering
- Water Management
- Business & Management
- Finance & Control
- Marketing & Economics
- Primary school teacher
Entry requirements: you are in study year 3 or 4 and you have achieved your propedeuse
Literature will be provided at the start of the project
One weekly meeting to follow the development of research together with other colleagues from the research group and/or industrial partners.
Portfolio & Professional skills and project related goal
English. Depending on the project Dutch is possible as well.
HZ (Vlissingen / Middelburg) and / or at location in the work field, depending on the project.
Becoming Fit for the Future
You will work on and gain experience in a real project. Stakeholders and experts from the work field are looking forward to collaborate with you and to find solutions to the challenges they currently encounter. Your contribution will be of direct use to them, and future minor participants will build on your work.
By working on these projects you will learn to develop a project plan and experience how to execute this with your team. You will also learn from other teams by assessing their plans and results. In other words, you will further develop your professional skills and research capacity. Coaches and researchers will train and support you to achieving these. Read more about why not to miss this opportunity!