Bio-based Building (BFftF)
Within the Bio-based Building research group, students and lecturer-researchers from HZ and Avans carry out joint research. They deal with both construction and civil engineering applications, with a strong emphasis on the materials side. In addition to construction, other areas of expertise such as chemistry, product design, health, mechatronics and maintenance may also be linked to this research. The aims of the research group are:
- Strengthening, expanding and upscaling existing bio-based construction products;
- Developing, testing and using new product(s) (ideas);
- Research into market applications;
- The study of and, if possible, advice on amendment of regulations and government policy;
- Formulation of a ‘business case’ and setup of the chain organization.
Here one might consider, for example, research into structural properties, the validation of health claims regarding innovations initiated by the construction sector and also by inexpensive agro-residues. New materials offer new design opportunities, with mechanization and cost price reduction being real requirements in order in the end to achieve a lower cost price and larger-scale production.You can
- Do research about (new) bio-based materials, structural properties and health claims of innovations
- Contribute to strengthening, expanding and upscaling existing bio-based construction products
- Develop, test and use new product(s) (ideas)
- Do research into market applications
- Study and, if possible, advice on amendment of regulations and government policy
- Develop business cases and setup the chain organization
- Develop skills like change making and research capacity in a practically-orientated research project
- You improve the challenge based on a professional and proactive attitude.
- You view and understand the challenge from different perspectives.
- You design, execute, monitor, interpret and/or validate the professional product systematically.
- You propose a desirable follow-up and critically evaluate the professional product (result) and the associated development process.
- You share and record the results in a structured manner and, based on your results, you potentially contribute to enriching existing knowledge.
- Project related goal (specified by or with help of work field).
- Civil Engineering
- Logistics Engineering
- Water Management
- Business & Management
- Finance & Control
- Marketing & Economics
- Primary school teacher
Entry requirements: you are in study year 3 or 4 and you have achieved your propedeuse
Literature will be provided at the start of the project
Contact moments in general: kick-off (week 1), four workshops about research, workshops about relevant and specific topics (optional), poster presentation (end of the minor), final assessment (last week(s))
Contact moments specific for Bio-based Building: more information will follow at the start of the project
Work forms: (guest) lectures, excursions, group discussions, expert consultation, workshops
Type: individual, oral Final Assessment about the participant's digital portfolio
Content: Portfolio consisting of evidence for the six learning goals (Professional Products and a Progress & Reflections report)
Minimum grade: 5.5 out of 10 points
semester 1:18 until 29 January 2021
semester 2: Yet to be defined
Inspection: same date as Final Assessment. Re-exam: 2 weeks after Final Assessment.
More information: Final Assessment
English. Depending on the project Dutch is possible as well.
HZ (Vlissingen / Middelburg) and / or at location in the work field, depending on the project.
Becoming Fit for the Future
You will work on and gain experience in a real project. Stakeholders and experts from the work field are looking forward to collaborate with you and to find solutions to the challenges they currently encounter. Your contribution will be of direct use to them, and future minor participants will build on your work.
By working on these projects you will learn to develop a project plan and experience how to execute this with your team. You will also learn from other teams by assessing their plans and results. In other words, you will further develop your professional skills and research capacity. Coaches and researchers will train and support you to achieving these. Read more about why not to miss this opportunity!