Marine Bio-based Chemistry (BFftF)
The Marine Bio-based Products research group focuses on research into the substances contained in algae, seaweeds and (salt-tolerant) plants (in the sea and on land) and their evaluation. Refining resources into useful ingredients is in line with our development into a sustainable, bio-based and circular economy. The research group carries out research with an evident chemical component (refining, modification, application) and fits in with an environment orientated towards applied research. Thanks to its nature and character, the Marine Bio-based Products research group has an especially good connection with our Sustainable Dynamic Delta.
Topics and projects
- Contribute to refine algae, seaweeds and (salt-tolerant) plants into useful and sustainable ingredients, like drogmetics and phytosterols from macro-algae
- Develop skills like change making and research capacity in a practically-orientated research project
Learn more about Marine Bio-based Specialties projects
- You improve the challenge based on a professional and proactive attitude.
- You view and understand the challenge from different perspectives.
- You design, execute, monitor, interpret and/or validate the professional product systematically.
- You propose a desirable follow-up and critically evaluate the professional product (result) and the associated development process.
- You share and record the results in a structured manner and, based on your results, you potentially contribute to enriching existing knowledge.
- Project related goal (specified by or with help of work field).
- Civil Engineering
- Logistics Engineering
- Water Management
- Business & Management
- Finance & Control
- Marketing & Economics
Entry requirements: you are in study year 3 or 4 and you have achieved your propedeuse
Contact moments in general: kick-off (week 1), four workshops about research, workshops about relevant and specific topics (optional), poster presentation (end of the minor), final assessment (last week(s))
Contact moments specific for Marine Bio-based Specialties.
Work forms: (guest) lectures, excursions, group discussions, expert consultation, workshops
Professional skills and project related goal
English. Depending on the project Dutch is possible as well.
HZ (Vlissingen / Middelburg) and / or at location in the work field, depending on the project.
Becoming Fit for the Future
You will work on and gain experience in a real project. Stakeholders and experts from the work field are looking forward to collaborate with you and to find solutions to the challenges they currently encounter. Your contribution will be of direct use to them, and future minor participants will build on your work.
By working on these projects you will learn to develop a project plan and experience how to execute this with your team. You will also learn from other teams by assessing their plans and results. In other words, you will further develop your professional skills and research capacity. Coaches and researchers will train and support you to achieving these. Read more about why not to miss this opportunity!