Esports Event & Media Management (1st semester 23/24)
Get ready to work in one of the world’s fastest-growing industries: the games industry! In this minor you will explore the esports industry by organising an esports event and working on an assignment for a company or organisation, such as Nintendo or PSV.
The Esports Event & Media Management minor consists of three assignments.
In the first half of the semester, you will work on a strategic proposal and set up an esports event. In the second half of the semester, you will work for a client.
1. Make a strategic proposal outlining how you will market your own brand. How do you reach and convince young people to choose your brand?
2. Organising an esports event on the BUas campus. Here, you will learn about organising an event and everything that come with it such as marketing and production. The esports event is live but will also be broadcast online. We work with the 'after action review' principle which means we build up a database with all the findings we have after the event so we can all learn from them in the future.
3. Working with the event team at one of our clients to set up an esports event. You and your team will get to work at the company. You have a close connection with a BUas supervisor during this project. Overall objectives are esports expertise, esports production and esports strategic means.
Intake / selection for BUas students
Propaedeutic certificate obtained.
Admission requirements for external students
The minor Esports Event & Media Management is mainly intended for students who have passed their propaedeutic year and are in the 3rd or 4th year of their programme. You choose this minor if you are a motivated, proactive young professional who wants to learn more about esports and event management. You already have experience in marketing, business and event management. During the minor, students will work in multidisciplinary teams of students with an international background. The minor is entirely in English - from communication to lecturers to assignments. Bear in mind that you will be working long hours.
Verhaar, J. (2013) Project Management: A Professional Approach to Events. 3rd Edition. Boom uitgevers Amsterdam.
Scholz T.M. (2019) Management in the World of Competitive Gaming. In: eSports is Business. Palgrave Pivot, Cham
You will be assessed on successfully completing the following:
• Boost Camp – presentation (2 ECTS)
• Team up for Business serious game – annual reports (4 ECTS)
• My Dream – individual project (14 ECTS)
• Written exam (4 ECTS)
• Drive – individual project (6 ECTS)
• Identify and apply qualitative trend research
• Identify and apply qualitative and quantitative research on market segmentation (TAM, SAM, SOM), identify competition and sector/value network. Qualitative research on user profiling: human centered design research, persona’s, customer journey
• Idea finding and idea production
• Creative skills
• Creativity in organizations
• Prototyping and prototype testing Scenario thinking
• Develop, create and test online marketing, concept statements, value network analysis, financial management, pricing strategy, revenue modelling
• Develop entrepreneurial competencies, creative and entrepreneurial skills in
order to generate and produce new initiatives for businesses.
Amongst others: reflective, planning, goal setting, leadership, risk taking, networking and team working skills.