Co-Creating Events & Designing Experiences (1st semester 22/23)
** The maximum of registrations of this minor has been reached, therefore it is not possible to apply anymore. We would like to point out the we, Breda University of Applied Sciences, offer several other minors that can be very interested for you! Please check our minor offer via the website of Kies op Maat **
The minor focuses on co-creating events with a variety of stakeholders (including students from different academies). Strategy, Concept design, Branding, City-marketing, Marketing&Media, Hospitality (including food concepts), Event logistics and Crowd Control are key elements and competencies in this minor. Part of this minor is to set up and organize your own event for a real-life commissioner.
The developers and organizers of this wide Event minor believe in the strength of events as a strategic marketing tool. We see the benefits of strengthen brands through events and believe that we can empower events by making brands of them. So, what is going to happen if you bring all knowledge, experience and skills of the different BUas academies together, both students and lecturers? Then you can design and organize the “perfect event”! So, our aim is to bring together students and professionals from different academies. Of course, you should be willing to share your knowledge and experience and furthermore you see the challenge of creating public or business events.
Whether these events are green, entertaining, innovative, commercial or in one way or another generates social development, we are going to explore together all the relevant aspects of professional events.
- Learning about different typologies of events: public/private, free/entrance fee, etc.
- Marketing of events & events as a marketing tool; including developments in transmedia and social media
- Event design: use of professional instruments like the experience and touchpoint model, customer journey, value research and different Imagineering tools
- Creating awareness about process design and crowd management concepts in any kind of event
- Getting insight in hospitality experience design and food concepts
Learn about the impact of events on cities and countries and the link between sustainability and events.
Appropriate level of English, both written and oral
Propaedeutic certificate obtained
2 compulsory books:
Event Logistics, Maarten van Rijn & Dick van Damme
Events as a strategic marketing tool, Ronald van Olderen & Dorothe Gerritsen
Extra materials, articles etc will be delivered by CumLaude/LMS or in class.
Division of the 30 credits:
- Mystery Guest Experience assignment 2 ECTS (individual report)
- Large Theoretical Assignment 13 ECTS (group report & presentation)
- Strategy & Concept (4 ECTS) and Media (2 ECTS)
- Logistics and Crowd Control 4 ECTS
- Hospitality 3 ECTS
- Large Real Assignment 11 ECTS (group reports & execution)
- Sector analysis assignment 2 ECTS
- Plan of Appoach 2 ECTS
- Execution 4 ECTS
- End report 3 ECTS
- Individual Oral exam 4 ECTS
Event-marketing, branding, concept design, media management, event logistics, hospitality management
- Typology of events
- Facts & figures event industry
- Trends and developments event industry
- Event marketing
- Eventful cities and Placemaking
- Imagineering and events
- Branding and Events
- Sustainability and Events
- Event logistics
- Process and process control
- Crowd management
- Designing hospitality experiences
- Foodconcepts as part of your value proposition
- The customer service process
- Customer service blueprinting
- Social media
- Marketing & Media
Structure of the minor
The minor consists of 2 main parts:
- a theoretical part: 3 assignments/blocks; strategy&design and media, logistics&crowd control, hospitality (13 weeks in total)
- a practical part: preparing and organizing your own (real life!) event (preparation & execution: Sept-Dec)
In 3 blocks (Strategy & Design and Media, Logistics and Hospitality) we will travel through our minor, in which we are going to develop the skills and knowledge mentioned in the learning goals earlier. In class and group meetings we will focus on the multidisciplinary aspects which are important for professional events.
- lectures (60 or 90 minutes)
- progress meetings (PM) per group with supervisor (30 to 50 minutes, 2x per week)
- expert meetings (EP) per class with expert (90 minutes, 1x per week)
- pitches and presentations per class
- 3 peer evaluations per group (40 minutes)
- Project-based (project work that delivers a predefined outcome to clients)
- Flipping the (international) classroom, students research topics and deliver presentations.
- Multidisciplinary meetings with several lecturers from different academies
- Process meetings with supervisors
- Usage of knowledge clips database to enhance the learning experience
- Guest lectures on specific topics
- Benchmarking assignments
10 to 15 % foreign students, International focus on cases and literature, international study trip (optional)
2 books together around 80 Euro, extra materials, articles etc are for free.
Optional Studytrip: depending, on destination: 300-400 Euro.