How to create a media hit
“What does it take to turn an idea into a successful media hit? Where do you find your inspiration? What do you need for production? How can you finance your format? Does it meet the audience’s needs?”
Welcome to the world of creativity, broadcasters and media concept developers. The minute the minor starts, you will become a member of the editorial team and you will learn how exciting and complicated it is to develop and pitch your own format. Formatting media into a big hit is an innovative and adventures business. Production companies and broadcasters from all over the world are always looking for young people with new ideas, new angles, new shapes and new business models. Formats such as The Voice, Big Brother and Fear Factor are well known worldwide.
But how to become a successful storyteller on a media platform like YouTube, Instagram or a TV channel? And how can you use those storytelling skills into other businesses? After all, nowadays a lot of companies use visualised concepts to communicate with their clients.
Successful media innovations are not brand-new but created with existing elements of older media. So once you understand how to develop a TV format, you will be able to connect these elements in different ways to create a media hit for several platforms.
The road to success is to create an innovative approach for storytelling on modern media platforms. The minor “How to create a media hit?” will help you to build your career!
You will learn:
- how to analyse TV formats
- to recognise the pattern in a format
- how to give feedback
- to look at TV programs as a professional
- to understand the TV culture in his own country
- how to get the attention of the audience
- how to write a premise
- how to tell a story visually
- about different media platforms
- how to make trend reports
- how to observe creatively
- how to diverge & converge
- how to train the brain
- not to judge
- how to get inspired
- how to develop a TV format for the International market
- how to write a format
- how to start developing after a briefing
- what characterises a format
- how to use other media platforms in a format
- how to explain a chosen creative strategy
- how to write a format with the help of a template
- how to make a selling flyer ’
- how to produce a trailer
- how to record a trailer
- how to edit a trailer
- how to use stock material
- how to use music
- how to use captions
- how to visualise the format for commercial purposes
- how to pitch a format in a professional way
- what to do with ‘fear of speaking
- how to prepare a pitch
- how to sell a format (storytelling)
- how to reflect on his/her personal growth
Before submitting through Kies op Maat please contact the minor contact person Tinka Gijsen (firstname.lastname@example.org) / 06 - 224 907 68 if participating is still possible or whether the maximum number of participants has been reached.
How do I apply?
The application process regarding the Kies op Maat minor at Saxion is a bit different than described at www.kiesopmaat.nl
How does it work?
Step 1: Download the learning agreement from the Kies op Maat website and let it sign by a member of the exam commission at your own educational institution ánd sign the document yourself.
Step 2: go to https://sis.saxion.nl/account# and fill in your personal data
Step 3: you will receive an automatic generated email from IAM including your username and password
Step 4: go the https://sis.saxion.nl, log on with your username and password which you have received from IAM and apply!
Step 5: After this we can process your application for a Kies op Maat minor at Saxion
Please note : in step 6 you are requested to upload some documents. The following documents we need:
- A copy of your valid passport or ID-card. No driving license!
- A copy of your propaedeutic diploma or a printout from the DUO diploma register. In case you do not have the propaedeutic diploma yet, we would like to receive an official statement from your educational institution in which they state that you will receive the propaedeutic diploma before the start of the minor.
- Learning agreement, page 1, 2 and 3 (signed by a member of the exam commission of your own education institution and student)
- Original Proof of Payment. You can collect the document, even when you are paying in terms, at your own educational institution. Soon you will receive more information.
If you have further questions, please let us know. You can contact Saxion Student Registration, telephone number: 088 – 019 1808.
International and national students in the field of communications, new business, marketing and media.
- you are interested in the world of media & communication
- you are open minded and curious
- you are interested in people and society
- you want to know what storytelling will add you to your own profession and you want to sharpen your storytelling skills…….
then this is your minor!
Why should you choose this minor in the Netherlands?
Formats created in the Netherlands find their way across the globe, impacting the lives of millions. With groundbreaking formats such as The Voice, Big Brother, 1 vs. 100, Deal or no Deal, Utopia and Obese, the Netherlands rank among the top three of TV format producing countries. On the global market, Dutch companies such as Endemol and Talpa are well known players. Besides our thriving media industry, the Netherlands provide an innovative environment for creating and testing new shows in any genre.
6 x 5 ECTS - Outcome
- Analyses formats - Presentation
- Storytelling & visualization - Paper & moodboard
- Format development & creativity - Paperversion TV format
- Trailer & commercial flyer - Video & flyer
- Pitch - Presentation
- Professional attitude & growth - Assessment
The minute the minor starts, you become a member of the editorial team. Over a period of 20 weeks, you learn both how exciting and how complicated it is to develop, produce and pitch your own media hit.
In the first part of the minor you will develop a media hit in a team. In the second part you will create your own media hit. The final assessment is a pitch to a board of television professionals from the Netherlands.
Monday: Keynote & editorial meeting & briefing week assignment
Tuesday: guest lectures & working on assignment
Wednesday: Work on assignment
Thursday: Keynote & editorial meeting
Friday: Reflection; process feedback