Dairy Technology & Processing
The Netherlands are famous for their top quality dairy processes and products. To continue this unique position for the future, something has to happen. Current issues are, for example, worldwide shortage of dairy process technologists and the need for even more sustainable dairy products. With this minor you can contribute to sustainable process development and control of high quality dairy products feeding our world in the coming decades!
The development of a top level production process starts with the product! Which health promoting aspects, shelf-life, taste, solubility (of powder) do I want to have? And, even more important, which safety issues are relevant? In some cases the product will be used as an ingredient in other food products like bread and beverages. Therefore it is important that you have sufficient knowledge on milk components (proteins, fats, enzymes, minerals) and micro-organisms, their behaviour during processing and their impact on human health.
Once you know clearly the desired specifications of your dairy product, you can start with process development. The main challenge is to design a process that meets the product requirements but at the same time has minimal operation costs. These costs are depending on product losses (due to fouling) and energy consumption. Moreover, you preferably want to have a more sustainable process than the benchmark and to use the latest proven new technologies. In this minor you will learn to compare and balance all these product and process aspects in a quantitative way.
You will get help from a powerful toolkit: computer simulation models. These models can evaluate production process on both product properties, sustainability and processing performance.
- Knowledge on: dairy processes, milk components and their behaviour in dairy processes, dairy products and their properties, latest development in new processing technologies, relation between farm management and milk quality and safety
- Making a design of an efficient and sustainable dairy process for a high quality and safe dairy product
- Using computer simulation to design dairy processes
- Collecting relevant information via interviews and literature research
- Communication of research results to stake holders
Language course: English
Domein Life Sciences and Technology bestaat uit de opleidingen:
- Chemische Technologie
- Biologie- en medisch laboratoriumonderzoek
Guideline: 105 EC (year 1+2) in food technology, chemistry, engineering or related. Typical studies are “Life Science and Technology”, “Food & Business”, “Food, Commerce and Technology”, “Chemical Engineering”
Daarnaast dient student in bezit te zijn van een afgerond havo/vwo diploma profiel NT, NG of EM met Scheikunde en Wiskunde A. Een afgerond MBO 4 diploma geeft ook toelating.
- Dairy Technology 1 & 2: 2 oral or written examinations (8 EC), 2 small projects assignments (6 EC)
- Fermented Products:2 oral or written examinations (6 EC), 1 presentation (1 EC)
- New Dairy Processes & Simulation: oral or written examination (3 EC), 1 small project assignment (4 EC)
- Reflection and evaluation report (2 ec)
- Dairy Science and Technology (Walstra, Wouters, Geurts)
- Dairy Processing Handbook (TetraPak Processing Systems)
- Sustainable Dairy Processing (Wiley-Blackwell, Ed. P. de Jong)
- other materials distributed during course
Third period (31 january- 14 april: Contact hours on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.
Fourth period (17 April – 23 June): Contact hours on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.
- 10 h college/week
- 8 h project/week