A-systems; High Tech Agricultural Systems
Want to discover
- How the working of the brain can help us in agro robotics?
- How AI influences the Vision, IoT, and Robotics disciplines for agro problems?
- How Deep Learning is changing Engineering?
- How Augmented Reality can accelerate tomato picking?
- How to engineer the complex embedded systems needed for next generation autonomous vehicles?
- How Systems engineering and Cybernetic control play a role in this?
- How Edge Computing changes the design of IoT systems?
- How robots learn behaviours instead of just being programmed?
- How virtual plant modelling can help in harvesting?
- Why the small scale of Venlo facilitates a unique eco system for this multidisciplinary minor?
Programme in brief
In this program we welcome you as exchange students from our partner institutes. The minor A-systems offers you a choice of courses in which to develop your knowledge and skills on the crossover of biology and technology: A relatively new area of hybrid engineering, optimally suited for the innovative breakthroughs in bio-technical solutions, needed by the agricultural sector.
What to expect from us
The student knows the agrifood sector from a biological and technological point of view. He knows how to measure certain parameters of plants and/or animals and how to regulate the environment in order to influence the growth process and/or behaviour.
What do we expect from you?
You develop their own studies with passion and talent, and are stimulated to rise above yourself in one or more themes in order to earn a place in the professional field. The education is demand driven in order to foster your own talents to the max. We provide the opportunities, but the student creates his own path!
Meer over deze minor op About this minor
All minor programmes starting in February 2020 have been opened for application on July 9th. You can apply until December 15th. Some minor programmes work with a numerus fixus (fixed number of students), in this case application will close when the minor programme is full. So make sure to make a decision in time!
Content of the programme
In this minor, students will make the connection between the world of biology, the world of technology and the world of business administration, see Figure 1. The still independent biological systems and the technical systems will be linked and influence each other with the aim of gaining more knowledge of the biological world on the one hand and making the biological world function more 'optimally' on the other hand.
Connection between the worlds
The most important themes for the supporting courses are indicated below. This is not exhaustive and the themes depend on project content and personal interest.
- Plant science - Physiology, anatomy, photosynthesis, anatomy and morphology, soil cultivation;
- Animal science - Physiology, anatomy, behaviour and nutrition and health;
- Bio sensor - Detecting the presence of chemicals on living organisms or biological molecules;
- (abiotic) Actuation - Optimising animal and plant health/welfare by any form of actuation;
- Data analytics - Big Data, Data Conversion, Data Clustering and Classification, hyperspectral, data intensive sensors/actuators, omics;
- Data synthetics - Big data, motor babbling, orchestration of multiple and possibly heterogeneous actuations (e.g. movement), data intensive actuators, omics;
- Ethics - Philosophy that deals with the critical reflection on the right actions;
- Machine vision - The camera as a sensor, image processing algorithms, recognition, exposure;
- Robotics - Field of robotics, types, species, kinematics, programming, tools;
- Systems engineering - Systems Engineering is a holistic and interdisciplinary approach/methodology to enable the realization of successful systems. The intended system integrates, among other things, the above-mentioned themes as links in a cyclical chain that aims to optimise the primary business process in the outside world
Here you can find the minor regulation
The purpose of the minor regulation is to inform you about the subjects within the minor, how the testing is set up and when you have concluded the minor. Students can derive rights out of the text of the minor regulation.