Offshore Renewable Energy
The minor Offshore Renewable Energy focusses on all aspects of the life cycle of offshore windfarms: Design, Installation, Logistics, Operation & Maintenance and Decommissioning. Every week there will be guest lectures from experts in leading companies in the offshore energy industry who will offer you an exclusive inside view in the industry and the innovations they are working on! You will work on real project where experts from the field will give you assignments and be your mentor! This will help you to become an expert in the offshore renewable energy industry yourself! You will receive many offers for (graduation)internships and jobs!
See this film series about innovations in the Offshore Windfarm industry by Van Oord that was made in cooperation with our students!
The main partners of this minor are:
- Boskalis (lectures and projects)
- Van Oord (lectures and excursions)
- SiemensGamesa (lectures and projects)
- Seaway Heavy Lifting (lectures and projects)
- SIF (lectures and excursions)
- World Class Maintenance Fieldlab Zephyros
- Center of Expertise Water & Energy
Guest lectures are given by Mammoet, IV-Group Nevesbu, DEME GeoSea, Deutsche Windtechnik, Stork, Dutch Drone Company, IHC Iqip, SIF, Jumbo Heavy Lift, Rijkswaterstaat, BOW Terminal, 24SEA, Royal Haskoning DHV, Vestas, Enapsys, Vuyck Engineering, Antea Group, Technotron and many more.
As part of this minor, you are able to get the following certificates that are registered in the WINDA database of the Global Wind Organization (GWO) https://www.globalwindsafety.org/:
- Basic Elements of Safety Certificate (VCA)
- Basic Safety Training (BST) at Scalda (student fee EUR 600,-), see https://www.scalda.nl/werken-in-de-wind.
- Basic Technical Training (BTT) at Scalda (student fee EUR 600,-), see https://www.scalda.nl/werken-in-de-wind. This training teaches you the basics of how the nacelle and all electrical, hydraulic, mechanical systems are designed, operated and maintained. The training teaches you the basics of how wind energy is converted to mechanical energy and electrical energy.
During this minor you will go on excursions to visit staging ports, installation vessels and visit international conferences. For excursions to ports, substations and installation vessels you need Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). Some examples of excursions from previous editions of the minor:
- Van Oord Installation Vessel Aeolus and Svanen
- Jan de Nul installation Vessel Vole au Vent
- SIF Monopiles factory at Maasvlakte 2
- Damen Shipyards, Borsele HVAC substation Alpha
- BOW Terminals, Vestas staging port
- Wereld Haven Dagen Rotterdam, https://wereldhavendagen.nl/
- Offshore Energy Conference Amsterdam, https://www.offshore-energy.biz/
- Navingo Career Event (https://www.navingocareerevent.com/en/home
- Belgian Offshore Days (https://www.belgianoffshoredays.be/)
- Future of the North Sea Symposium by KIVI,
- Boskalis inhouse day: https://careers.boskalis.com/events/boskalis-innovation-inhouseday/
- Many more…
To reduce climate change and global warming, many countries signed the Paris Climate Agreement promising to reduce CO2 emissions. The contribution of Offshore Renewable Energy to the energy market is essential for a better environment and for our future. The human use of energy is still increasing and we are running out of fossil fuels. In the future, we can solve this by generating renewable offshore energy from wind, currents, waves and other sources. Currently, many new offshore wind farms are planned and built in the Netherlands. The ports of "North Sea Port" in the province of Zeeland are a major contributor to the construction of offshore wind farms, both nationally and internationally. This will result in many future-proof jobs for young engineers. The minor prepares students for a career in this emerging market and allows you to make your own contribution to a better environment.Related U.N. Sustainable Development Goals are 7, 9, 13, 14, 17 see https://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment/sustainable-development-goals/
Mechanical Engineering, Engineering, Civil Engineering, Water Management, Logistics Engineering, ICT, Maritime Officer, Service Management, Management Economy, or a related study programme.
Further requirements: you have completed the propedeuse phase and a minimum of 30 EC from the 2nd study year.
All lectures and teaching materials are in English, you will work with international students and professionals to prepare you for the offshore renewable sector.
Blok 1: 2 Exams, 1 main project and 1 elective project
Blok 2: 2 Exams, 1 main project and 1 elective project
Min. grade: 5,5
The learning materials consist of:
- The book "Offshore Wind" by Thomsen (https://www.elsevier.com/books/offshore-wind/thomsen/978-0-12-410422-8)
- The book Empowering the Great Energy Transition" by Valentine, Brown & Sovacool (http://cup.columbia.edu/book/empowering-the-great-energy-transition/9780231185967
- Open Online Course Offshore Windfarm Design by TUDelft
- Duurzame Energietechniek by Joop Ouwehand, https://www.studystore.nl/p/9789058755551/duurzame-energietechniek
- Presentations and materials from guest lectures by experts from the field.
- Learning materials on the HZ Learn page online environment.
The minor Offshore Renewable Energy comprises of 2 blocks of 10 weeks each. Forty percent of the minor consists of theory classes taught by professionals from the business sector, research departments or universities. The other sixty percent of your time you will work on 2 practical projects that you select at the start of the minor.
The minor is built using four learning lines that represent phases in the life cycle of an offshore wind farm: Design, Logistics, Installation, Maintenance. Each learning line consist of theory lectures, guest lectures and a project teaching you the basics for Engineers of offshore wind farms. Projects in the Offshore Wind sector are multidisciplinary so you will have to work together with students from other study programs such as Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Water Management, Logistic Engineering, Maritime Officer, Industrial Engineering, etc. At the start of the minor, you will select 2 projects on which you will work the whole minor.