Educational Science and Technology (EST) (Transferminor/Doorstroomminor)
The Minor Educational Science and Technology is for anyone fascinated by education and training, yet not intending to become a teacher.
Are you interested in the design and evaluation of teaching and learning scenarios in schools and organisations? Or are you interested in the learning and development of employees in companies? Then the Minor Educational Science and Technology is the right programme for you!
You opt for this so-called transfer-minor (in Dutch: Doorstroomminor) if you are interested to play an expert role in designing, organising, researching and evaluating education and training.
Topics which will be dealt with are for instance:
- Which teaching method is best to transfer knowledge and skills?
- Which competences are needed to perform a specific task optimal?
- What are characteristics of a good learning environment in which students or employees may learn efficiently and effectively?
- How to facilitate that students or employees learn from each other (peer learning)?
- Which roles do new media play in the learning and instructional processes, and how to design and implement these new media)?
- How to measure and make visible academic achievements?
- How do and should teachers co-operate to develop their school (and what are the consequences for their personal development)?
- How can and do schools use effectively existing research data to assess and to improve the school’s quality?
- What are characteristics of good practice of educational and training policy and educational leadership?
In this minor we offer courses that both address attaining knowledge and skills in doing educational research – in total 15 EC’s - as well as courses that introduce you to the domain of the ‘Twentse’ educational science – also 15 EC’s – where we highlight (1) educational design, (2) assessing educational quality and (3) human resource development – HRD (i.e. learning in corporate settings).
This transfer minor dominantly aims at preparing you for the master of science (MSc) degree programme Educational Science and Technology (EST), and upon successful completion of this minor and after obtaining your bachelor
This is a minor of the University of Twente (UT). All lectures are offered at the UT campus in Enschede.
N.B. The learning agreement signed by the student and his Examination Board must have reached the UT-contactperson before the enrollment deadline.
Good to know that this minor aims to attract students from universities of applied sciences (HBO) who have the adequate motivation and capacities to complete an English-taught degree programme on university level.
In any case you need have to completed 120 EC’s from your current related bachelor’s studies before starting this transfer minor. In addition, the University of Twente assumes that students who start this transfer minor possess sufficient prior knowledge in mathematics (preferably Wiskunde –A on so-called VWO-level) and that they are sufficiently proficient in English (benchmark score in this regard: IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL 80). Students are supposed to assess themselves whether their competencies in this respect match with the recommended levels.
In order to determine whether your current studies is sufficiently related to educational science, please check: www.doorstroommatrix.nl or check the EST programme’s website:
For those whose current bachelor’s studies involves a non-related programme, admission is determined on an individual basis by the EST Admission Board
Each course in this transfer minor is concluded with either a test or an assignment.
All courses are offered twice per year.
Quartile 1 and Quartile 3:
- Designing for Learning in Schools and Organisations (201300068) – 5 EC Exam
- Academic Writing Pre-master (192412240) – 5EC Assignment
- Research Methodology and Descriptive Statistics (201300063) – 5EC Exam
Quartile 2 and Quartile 4:
- Research Studio (201300069) – 10EC Assignment
- Inferential Statistics (201300064) – 5 EC Exam
You will be informed by the programme about the books you need to buy, combined with the invitation for the introduction day.
- The fulltime version of this 30 EC’s transfer minor takes 1 semester.
- There are 2 terms of enrolment (September or February)
- We try to offer our workshops and practicals as much as possible on Thursdays and Fridays. Lectures may also take place on other days of the week.