International Timber Trade
After completing the course the students have a broad understanding of timber and timber trade in (tropical) hardwoods and softwoods and wood based materials and a good overview of the International timber industry.
The students are put in a role of a consultancy company that has to work on a professional business development plan for a timber company. In the first term the students gather information to design a project proposal. The subjects during this term are meant to provide input for the business development plan assignment, but also to expand knowledge of timber and timber trade in general.
During the second term students start working on their business development plan and are provided with project guidance. Also in the second term a number of lectures on timber and trade are provided. Specific attention is paid to legality and sustainability issues in timber trade. As a foreign language Spanish or German (professional level) is offered.
Project- and process management:
• student is able to implement the essential elements of projectmanagement into the project assignment
• student is able to ask feedback on his performance and undertakes actions for improvement
• Student is able to collect reliable information from various sources and to weigh and assess this information;
• Student is able to determine the most prominent applications of timber and the specific market with concern to this application
• Student is able to recognize and motivate the importance of the different wood features in relation to its end uses
• Student is able to determine the mechanical and chemical properties of wood
• Student is able to determine the strength and quality classes of timber
• Student is able to describe the main methods of strength grading timber and regulations
• Student is able to apply timber regulations concerning legality, sustainability and general certificates which are common in the timber business and how they influence trade
• Student is able to understand the essential business concepts which are relevant in implementing business ideas
• Student is able to assess the companies’ market position relative to the supplier in order to make correct purchasing decisions
• Student Is able to select the correct market strategy in developing (new) business ideas
• Student is able to perform integral calculations which cover all important variables that are common in the timber business
• Student understands the impact of a good supply chain management can benefit the competitive advantage of a firm
• Student is able to formulate an advice for business development
• Student has a basic understanding of organizational structures and the requirements for a good structure
• Student has a basic understanding of the management process (plan-organise-direct-monitor)
• Student is able to promote the sustainability advantages of timber as a competitive advantage to other building materials
• Student is able to design an integral plan for a company, which covers the main aspects that are involved in implementing business ideas
• Student is able to conduct a (commercial) business meeting
• Student is able to sell a product and a service, also via telephone
• Student is able to handle complaints
• Student is able to negotiate
• Student is able to interact with different customer types
• Student has understanding of business cultures in Europe, Latin America, Asia and Africa
• Student has understanding of acquisition of new customers
• Student is able to lead a discussion/debate and defend an own opinion
• Student has the ability to communicate in basic Spanish or another foreign language
In case of a low number of applications for the minor, the minor may not be offered. After closing the registration period, you will be informed as soon as possible (no later than 7 June 2019).
At least 120 credits obtained in previous bachelor programs. Intake meeting and acceptance of earlier obtained competences.
Provide documents for entry requirements: Prove of obtained credits in earlier education at bachelor level.
• Wood properties and end uses- Numeral 0 -10 (0,1 Int - 5,5 pass). Computer exam and assignments, open questions
• Wood anatomy- Numeral 0 -10 (0,1 Int - 5,5 pass).Written test based on 40 wood samples, open questions
• Quality and grading- Numeral 0 -10 (0,1 Int - 5,5 pass).Written exam, open questions
• Business manager- Numeral 0 -10 (0,1 Int - 5,5 pass).Written exam, open questions
• Calculator- Numeral 0 -10 (0,1 Int - 5,5 pass). Written exam and assignments, open questions
• Wood modification, preservation and drying- Numeral 0 -10 (0,1 Int - 5,5 pass). Written exam and assignments, open questions
• Business development project- Numeral 0 -10 (0,1 Int - 5,5 pass). Group report and oral exam
• Business communication-oral exam, Numeral 0 -10 (0,1 Int - 5,5 pass).
• Current Important Issues, Numeral 0 -10 (0,1 Int - 5,5 pass).written exam, open questions,
• Foreign language level 2 (German or Spanish): Numeral 0 -10 (0,1 Int - 5,5 pass), written exam, including an oral exam (10 min); individual.
Rating scale: Numeral 0 -10 (0,1 Int - 5,5 pass).
Tsoumis-Science and Technology of wood (35 euro)
Wood sample box (75 euro or on loan)
840 study hours:
• 280 hours of lectures
• 60 hours excursions
• 280 hours group assignments
• 80 hours assignments
• 100 hours self-study
• 40 hours assessments