This minor focuses on the communication development of very young children (0-4 years) in the so called “early childhood settings” as nursery schools, child health centres and preschools. How do toddlers communicate in their pre-school period? And what kind of communication problems can we expect in these settings? In this speech language therapy minor the verbal and non-verbal modalities of language play an important role. Interactive strategies are high lightened in both a theoretical and a practical way.
Mostly the speech and language therapist ought to be the expert in the field of communication development. But what about parents? Which important role can be played by parents and other professionals to enhance “Talkabilities” of very young children?
- The student can summarize motor, cognitive, language, play and social development of young children.
- The student can give an overview of routine check-ups for young children in the Netherlands, in Germany (and in Portugal) and can name diagnostic instruments for testing language development.
- The student can summarize principles which develop and stimulate communicative abilities of children (individual and in group).
- The student can illustrate which speech and language therapy interventions for children are evidence based.
- The student can give parents information about language development and the role parent can play in that part of the development of their child.
- The student can give a workshop for teachers and for parent from an early childhood setting or a kindergarten.
- The student is able to observe a child between 0 and 4 years, a student-child interaction and a teacher-child interaction and write the results in an objective way.
- The student can show all the RIS strategies during a play with a child between 0 and 4 years.
- The student can give a presentation on the effectiveness of early language intervention by parents and by language therapy.
- The student can formulate his/her opinion on the effectiveness of early language interventions.
- The student can discuss about all the topics related to the minor Talkabilities (for example: communication and interaction, communication problems, early language interventions, RIS strategies, speech therapy, etc.).
The examination of the first-year programme Speech language therapist has to be completed successfully as well as the second year.
Portfolio-assessment with two teachers of the minor: 10 EC
Roundtable discussion: 5 EC
Readers and books, € 60 - € 80.
In the teaching situation, we have opted for a combination of lectures/guest lectures, project-based work and real-life practical assignments.