Public Administration Transfer minor
The Public Administration Transfer minor will provide you with the skills and conceptual tools to engage in descriptive, explanatory and normative research and analysis of the political and administrative issues of our time. After the transfer minor you are able to start the Master of Public Administration, that takes a comparative approach, looking at governance and policy-making practices in EU and non-EU countries.
The Public Administration Transfer minor consists of two parts: a part with practical tools you need, like Academic Writing and Research methodology, and a part with a subject directly from Public Administration: Modules like Societal Challenges (about immigration) or Public Policy (about individual health influences).
This transfer minor dominantly aims at preparing you for the master of science (MSc) degree programme Public Administration. Upon successful completion of this minor, you gain direct and unconditional access to this Master programme (see also Entry requirements below).
With a Master degree in Public Administration from the University of Twente, you will be steps ahead of the competition thanks to your thorough understanding of decision-making in the complex network of public and private organizations and the collective action needed to meet public administration challenges.
You will be able to:
- analyse the nature and the causes of social problems;
- understand interests and values of various stakeholders;
- design solutions that are not only feasible and acceptable to various stakeholders, but that also meet the demands of democratic legitimacy.
N.B. The learning agreement signed by the student and his Examination Board must have reached the UT-contactperson before the enrollment ends.
This minor aims to attract students from universities of applied sciences (HBO) who have the adequate motivation and capacities to complete an English-taught degree programme on university level.
The University of Twente assumes that students who start this transfer minor possess sufficient prior knowledge in mathematics (preferably Wiskunde –A on so-called VWO-level) and that they are sufficiently proficient in English (benchmark score in this regard: IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL 80). Students are supposed to assess themselves whether their competencies in this respect match with the recommended levels.
You need to have completed 120 EC’s from your current related bachelor’s studies before starting this transfer minor.
You need to fulfil all the requirements of the minor of 30 EC within one year to gain access to the master Public Administration.
In order to determine whether your current studies is sufficiently related to public administration, please check: www.doorstroommatrix.nl and check the Public administration programme website www.utwente.nl/master/pa.
Courses of the minor:
5 EC Research methodology and descriptive statistics
5 EC Academic Writing
5 EC Introduction to Public Administration (semester 1) or Introduction to Public Policy (semester 2)
15 EC Module Societal Challenges (semester 1) or Module Sustainable Cities (semester 2)
- Assessment of research methodology is a written exam and a practical exercise
- Assessment of Academic writing is a comprehensive literature review based on scientific articles
- Assessment of intro to PA and intro to PP is a written exam
- Assessment of the modules is a combination of written exams , individual practical exercises and group work.
Literature in the field of Public Administration and social methodology, e.g.:
- Earl Babbie, The Practice of Social Research, 14th edition (look for the student edition available at the study association)
- Ossewaarde, M. (2013) Theorizing European Societies. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Volti, R. (2017), Society and Technological Change, 8th edition. New York: Worth Publishers.
To be made available before the start of the semester. You are expected to be in Enschede most working days of the week. Our semesters are scheduled as two blocks of 10 weeks.